Spanish Dual- Language
The dual language program teaches students in two languages: English and Spanish. Spanish and English are used equally. The goal of this program is for students to be able to read, write, and speak in both English and Spanish. Classes are made up of both English Language Learners who share the same home language and English proficient students. The goal of the program is for students to learn how to speak, read, understand, and write in two languages, and also learn about and appreciate other cultures. Learn more about program options for English Language Learners in NYC Public Schools.
Our mission is to develop the knowledge and self confidence of students to read, write and communicate in Spanish and in English to meet and exceed the standards. We foster positive educational, cultural, and social preparedness skills by using enrichment/intervention strategies to build lifelong bilingual and bi-literate citizens.
We create opportunities for students to achieve academic excellence through a challenging and engaging bilingual curriculum. This is accomplished through activities that increase awareness and appreciation of a student’s own culture and those of others.
Our Dual Language program includes the following:
- English and Spanish Dual Language from Kindergarten to Fifth grade
- English as a New Language, a component to develop skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in English.
- Language Arts is designed to develop skills in listening, speaking, reading,g and writing in a student's home language while cultivating an appreciation of their personal experiences and cultures.
- All content-area courses/subjects are taught in Spanish and English.
Highlights of the Dual Language Program
- Students grow together as a cohort and develop lifelong relationships that share growth in language and multicultural understanding.
- We offer an engaging and rigorous curriculum for all grades provided in both languages with opportunities for hands-on activities.
- Multicultural school events and Fun Family engagement activities that promote a positive perspective of students’ cultures
- Integrated character development curriculum to foster social well-being and model citizens
The Dual Language program follows a Daily Alternating Schedule of learning all instruction in English and in Spanish.